5.28.2007

at the Javalatto's cafe - free wifi galore

Update on what's happenin:

* hanging out at coffeeshops an inordinate amount - we have yet to order internet for the apartment
* getting the hang of the life-routine here in Dallas. Jaimie is going to work every day (sans weekends) and I have been looking for a job.
* speaking of employ, I am hearing positive things from SMU regarding a 10-hour a week on campus position, and I just 'tried out' for two youth worship gigs this weekend. I am probably going to lead worship at Highland Park UMC on Sunday mornings (for their youth) and maybe lead worship for Heritage church of Richardson on Saturday nights (for their youth)...
* I am still reading Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. Fascinating book.
* I am still stuck on chapter 10 of Wheelock's Latin. On an encouraging note, Jaimie is about to start a hardcore studying habit so that she can get LEED certified, and we are planning on studying together (LEED for her, Latin for me)
* I found my old Matthew CD - miss that band, great CD.

Random thoughts on my PVM:

I heard a talk Sunday morning by the well-known youth guy, Walt Marcum, about the roots of Methodism. He ended the talk by saying that the strength of United Methodism is that the foundation of our theology is the Via Media... Well, that's news to me, but I like the sound of it. I hope to engage in some dialogue with Walt about this, as it is the first time I can recall a UMer actually claiming the phrase as applying to Wesley's little movement.

His talk was focused on world religions, and his purpose was to show where 'we' came from, and to establish the idea that we are different from others, but we shouldn't judge them. I am wary when people talk about Judaism, Islam and Christianity as separate religions, and do not spend time establishing that Judaism was the foundation (as Christianity and Islam split off from it). If we view Judaism as a separate entity entirely, we run the risk of isolating ourselves from the valuable historical and cultural roots Israel has to offer.

The book I've been reading has been reminding me day by day of our common heritage - the evolution of civilization, religion, and culture. Perhaps the study of world religions should be grounded in our common roots - talk first about why we are the same, and then begin, bit by bit, to show how we are different. That might keep us from closing our eyes to the common truths that bind some religions together. (more on this later)

No comments: